Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Dangerous Prayers

Dangerous Prayers has been compiled by Susan Hill and published by Thomas Hill Publishing.  This is a book about the Christians in our history especially of the United States and a prayer associated with them.  I got this book because I thought that it would be a book of courageous prayers and how that was associated with danger either to the world or to the person who prayed it but it really isn't.  The book is divided into Christians mostly well known and each person gets 2 or 3 pages to tell their life or lifework and then it is followed by a prayer or song which they prayed or sang during usually a difficult time.  These stories are very interesting backgrounds into the person especially the little known Christians who have written famous prayers or songs.  My favorite prayer is from Harriet Tubman, "I'm going to hold steady on You. You've got to see me through."  It is also the shortest which reminds the reader that it is not what we say in prayer but rather what the Lord tells to us.  I wonder how often the person doing the prayer waits to listen to the Lord but rather only speaks to the Lord.  We must remember that the listening is the important part.

Many of these stories and prayers spoke to me and I am glad that I read this book.  At first I was disappointed in that the book was much different than I expected from reading the short review on the back of the book.  Then I got into what the book was telling me about these Christian's life and their work and it really is interesting.  This would make a nice gift for a new Christian maybe at baptism or joining a church.  I would recommend reading this book though I would only give 4 stars because I think that the book should revise how they are advertising it.
I received this book from BookLook for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment