Friday, March 2, 2018

The Woman's Study Bilble-Thomas Nelson

The Woman's Study Bilble-Thomas Nelson- NIV translation.
This Bible meets all of my needs unless I am wanting to research something and want multiple versions.  This Bible uses the NIV translation and that is a fine translation for most scripture reading that I want to do.  In addition this Bible tells many of the cultural norms of the times especially as they pertain to women.  This edition tells many of the punishments meted out to women and sometimes to men if they concern that particular scripture.  All of this explanation is included close to the actual text so you don't have to find it in the back or look it up in a separate concordance.  Each book of the Bible is begun with the telling of who the original audience and setting for the book was, what the purpose was and literary characteristics were, the overall theme of the book and an outline of the book.  most of the books also tell who the author is and the dating of the writing of the book.  Throughout the books there are telling of the plans of God in the making of the law and reasoning of God's working with His people even though they were not following His plans.  There are graphs and lists which help the reader to keep track of the happenings as she reads along.  In the back of the Bible is the usual Index and Concordance and an extremely small map section but as I previously mentioned much of this is contained close to the reading so I didn't really use it much.  One of the things I enjoyed the most was there were family organizations or family trees contained close to the readings of each.  Sometimes as the reader is reading it is difficult to keep families straight and this is very helpful to me--especially when I want to backtrack in my reading from New Testament and find out how that connection is made in the Old Testament or how the families connect to Jesus. 

This Bible as I stated earlier easily meets my needs but I did want to mention that it may not meet the needs of more liberal readers.  There is mentioned in the separate readings about for instance marriage being one man and one woman.  This is a conservative Bible with conservative concordance and extra readings so this version may not be for those readers.  This Bible easily meets my needs and I am currently using it for my Read Through the Bible.
This was provided for me from BookLook for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment